Sunday, February 13, 2022

Review of A Good Kind of Trouble by Lisa Moore Ramee

 


From debut author Lisa Moore Ramée comes this funny and big-hearted debut middle grade novel about friendship, family, and standing up for what’s right, perfect for fans of Angie Thomas’s The Hate U Give and the novels of Renée Watson and Jason Reynolds.

Twelve-year-old Shayla is allergic to trouble. All she wants to do is to follow the rules. (Oh, and she’d also like to make it through seventh grade with her best friendships intact, learn to run track, and have a cute boy see past her giant forehead.)

But in junior high, it’s like all the rules have changed. Now she’s suddenly questioning who her best friends are and some people at school are saying she’s not black enough. Wait, what?

Shay’s sister, Hana, is involved in Black Lives Matter, but Shay doesn't think that's for her. After experiencing a powerful protest, though, Shay decides some rules are worth breaking. She starts wearing an armband to school in support of the Black Lives movement. Soon everyone is taking sides. And she is given an ultimatum.

Shay is scared to do the wrong thing (and even more scared to do the right thing), but if she doesn't face her fear, she'll be forever tripping over the next hurdle. Now that’s trouble, for real.


Book Links


**My thoughts**
I remember prior to this book's release, there was a lot of hype surrounding it, especially among the various book tour companies I blog for. But there was never a review option, and I knew I wanted to read it. So I put it on my TBR.

I finally read it for the first time about a year ago and was blown away. There's so much going on here that I think a lot of readers could relate to it.

The story tackles the embarrassment of puberty, bullying, first real crushes, parental rules, and the complicated dynamics of middle school friendships. I totally flashed back to my middle school days.

And then the book goes a little deeper into things like racial identity. Shayla is Black, Isabella is Puerto Rican, and Julia is Asian. They have always called themselves the United Nations, but are now more aware of some of their cultural differences. Naturally, some of the kids are starting to gravitate toward those with the same backgrounds at this age as they are developing more of a cultural identity. (Example: It's nice to be around people who understand that Chinese, Japanese, and Korean are not all the same.) But then there is also that desire to stay with your friends whom you love for being who they are. I appreciated them getting into the stereotypes and trying to dispel them while also embracing themselves for who they are and eventually seeking unification again. (Example: Not all Latinx people are from Mexico.)

Shayla also describes a lot of the problems that we are still facing in schools with some teachers being tone deaf to diversity and being so quick to stereotype or assume the worst of a student. [I keep thinking of Bernard. I love Bernard. I've taught many students like Bernard.] And she does highlight those teachers who are setting a good example. Plus there's some commentary of how teachers need to diversify what they're teaching and exposing kids to, because there's more out there than the dead white man's books. (I totally agree.)

And then there is the trial of an officer who shot and killed an unarmed Black man who was walking away from her. This is something we've been seeing quite often in the news, making this situation quite relevant. The book masterfully explains what Black Lives Matter actually means and how you can actively support the cause, even if you are not at a protest blocking traffic, for example. 

The important lessons Shayla learns are how to find her inner strengths, to be a good friend, a good leader, and how to find the good kind of trouble to really make a difference.

I think a lot of kids will find recognition in this story. I think reading it can lead to a lot of reflection and great conversation, whether at home or at school. And I think teachers could learn a lot about themselves by seeing that middle school world through a student's eyes.

I would love to catch up with Shayla again. But at the very least, I am adding author Lisa Moore Ramee to my perpetual reading list. Great debut book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment