Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Meet Marci Peschke, author of the Kylie Jean series

Marci Peschke was born in Indiana, grew up in Florida, and now lives in Texas. She has lived in three haunted houses, but now lives with her husband, two children, and a feisty black and white cat named Phoebe. Marci is an official member of the Scottish Clan MacIntyre. She loves reading and watching movies.

The following is an interview with Marci Peschke:

Tell us a bit about you.

I live in Texas with husband, Joe, and a crazy black and white cat named Phoebe. I have two grown up children. My son is a nurse and my daughter is a teacher. During the day I am an elementary school librarian. When I am not busy being a librarian or writing books, I like to travel. I have been to forty-three of the fifty states and seven other countries. I love tea parties, and even had tea at the Ritz in London!

What made you decide to write these books? What was your inspiration for the Kylie Jean series?

Sometimes a book finds you. My niece Kylie Jean is part of the inspiration for these books. I think that she is adorable, of course, and because she has such a cute personality I started to think that I could write some books about her. Kylie Jean is a real true little queen, but most of the things that happen to her in books are made up by me.

What's your writing process like?

I am constantly writing. Some authors like to make notes and do outlines. I do too, but I also do a lot of pre-writing and revising in my head. This means everywhere I go and everything I do, I am thinking with my "author brain." I get a lot of ideas from things I see or trips I take. Names of people and places are very interesting to me. I got the name Lucy [Kylie Jean's cousin] from a creek called Little Lucy Creek and Lickskillet for Lickskillet Farm from a street sign. You never know when you might stumble on to a good idea, so I am always on the lookout.

The Kylie Jean books have such a strong voice. How did you create the character? And how do you feel about the way the illustrator, Tuesday Mourning, has captured her?

As I said before, there really is a Kylie Jean, so it is easy for me to imagine her as a character, how she sounds, looks and acts. I love, love, love the way Tuesday illustrated Kylie Jean. She just took my words and made them into a perfect picture.

You're a school librarian. Talk a little about your experience getting kids to love reading.

It is important to make reading a celebration. I host reading contests and fun reading events. The best way to get kids excited about reading is to find out what excites them. It's just like a little puzzle or a mystery. Once you find out what they like, all you have to do is help them find it!

What's the best part about your job as a writer? As a librarian?

The best part of my job as a writer is creating fun characters that readers feel like they know. The best part being a librarian is helping students find a just right book that they love and can't wait to read.

What's next for Kylie Jean?

Kylie Jean will be having some fun adventures singing, dancing, spelling and cheering her way to her goal of being a beauty queen. I think Kylie Jean would have a lot of fun being a cupcake queen. Maybe she could have a baking adventure next!

Interview and bio reprinted from the digital press kit, courtesy of NetGalley.

Visit Marci Peschke's website here.


No comments:

Post a Comment