Saturday, April 7, 2012

Chapter Books A to Z: D is for The Dollhouse Murders

My love for murder mysteries began at an early age. When we were in elementary school, my friends and I regularly read and reread The Dollhouse Murders by Betty Ren Wright.

Amy is fed up with having to always take care of her mentally challenged sister Louanne. She needs a break and runs away to her Aunt Claire's house. Aunt Claire lives in the house that belonged to Amy's grandparents, who died some years ago.

When rummaging through the attic, Amy comes across a dollhouse that is a miniature of her grandparents' house and the dolls are miniatures of those who lived there. Aunt Claire is not happy about it. Amy and Ellen do some research and discover that Amy's grandparents had been murdered and that Claire's fiance was the original suspect.

The dollhouse starts to give Amy the creeps. She hears scurrying at night. The dollhouse often lights up on its own and the dolls start moving in the same fashion every night. Amy feels like the dolls are trying to tell her something. Claire is not happy about this revelation and wants Amy to forget about it.

As time goes on, the dolls, and Louanne, provide key evidence into unraveling what really happened the night that Amy's grandparents were murdered. The results are shocking.





I loved this book because it gave me chills whenever I read it. It was my gateway drug into the more macabre worlds of V.C. Andrews and Stephen King. I haven't read it in a long time, but really want to go up into my attic and dig it out again.

This book is recommended for children at least ages 9 and up.

2 comments:

  1. I've never read a murder mystery. Just not sure I'd be able to sleep at night. Maybe I should try one...sounds enticing.

    ReplyDelete